Look at it for as long as you want, and for as long as it pulls you in. It was great. Others believe it’s the blood of all the lives claimed by the forces of the hotel, which might be the most convincing explanation. The dog/sexual abuse interpretation hasn’t been confirmed by those involved in the film, so it’s up to each viewer if they accept it or not. Unlike the film, Hallorann doesn’t die, and helps Wendy and Danny escape. For others, it's the story of the mythical Minotaur. But according to Kubrick's co-writer, Diane Johnson, that's really not the case. It could mean that Jack has, after communing with the Overlook's many spirits, simply been absorbed in death into its history, and now walks the haunted world where all eras seem to be happening at once. You know what I'm talking about, don't you? In 2019, The Shining got a much-anticipated, big-screen sequel in the form of Mike Flanagan's Doctor Sleep. Grady killed his family, and his daughters warn Danny of what's to come for him. These fans can't believe that a detail-oriented filmmaker like Kubrick would leave any single object or moment to chance, so it all had to be part of a larger meaning. In Doctor Sleep, when Dan returns to an Overlook that was left to rot after his father went insane, he finds the old ghosts are still there and that his father is now among them. She is an Audiovisual Communication graduate that wanted to be a filmmaker, but life had other plans (and it turned out great). Dozens of them, all in identical frames, all covering the hotel's illustrious history as Ullman explains that "all the best people" stayed there in its heyday. How long have you been able to do it? Almost all of us are confused by the ending. Forget it!' I don't understand. Adrienne Tyler is a features writer for Screen Rant. i watched the shining a while ago. The movie "The Shining" with Jack Nicholson is a wonderful movie but I feel like there are some things that I still don't understand. Edit: It has now been explained but feel free to give your interpretations or have a discussion! Imagine what could be done with all this money spent on these decorations? Kubrick shot things all kinds of ways, but he never shot a version of the ending like in his script or the book. Johnson recalled to Entertainment Weekly. A few clips from The Shining. When Wendy finds Danny after he enters room 237, he’s in shock and physically injured, and Wendy immediately blames Jack for it as he has hurt their son before. Wendy and Danny escape relatively unscathed. Does this mean that, through their survival, they've somehow broken the cycle? Movies. I just don't understand what happened. Dick Hallorann: Do you know how I knew your name was Doc? scared me..a LOT. Of course, at the very end of the film, when Jack Torrance pops up in that old-timey photograph, his pose looks kinda familiar — you know, like the image of Baphomet, a deity long associated with the devil and Satanism. It's a ghost film!' Jack Torrance has always been the caretaker. Jack then goes after Danny, who runs into the hedge maze – all this during a snowstorm. There are even some people who think the true meaning of the film is unlocked by watching it backwards. In Stanley Kubrick’s “The Shining”, you watch a writer named Jack Torrance lose his mind while acting as caretaker of the Overlook Hotel. The Overlook is still very much intact, and grisly murder aside, its owners will likely want to keep it in business after they manage to thaw Jack's body and clean up the mess he left. There's something vaguely sinister built into every frame of The Shining. i just don't understand. Kubrick deliberately left many things unexplained, including many details from the third act – he did, however, explain why Jack Torrance appears in the photo at the end. The film is designed to unsettle us constantly, and Ullman's appearances are no different. Is it a kind of blood sacrifice to appease the ancient evils that roam the place, so they can have a happy and prosperous business season each year? For many fans, though, it all comes down to that abrupt, ambiguous, and intriguing ending. But to really understand Danny, I feel you would have to know what exactly he went through at the Overlook Hotel the way Stephen King wrote it- not the movies adaptation of what it was like. The brightness and adjustment of the headlights is mandated by the FVMSS. If you want to go with Stephen King's version of events, Danny's future is at least partially written. Finally, I don't believe it was terribly scary, not the way Pet Semetary is (to me at least). It's not clear, but there is hope. The Overlook's mythology is simply kept too vague for us to be sure, but it's very possible that Ullman isn't telling Jack everything he really knows about the place. I love the supernatural aspect of the film along with all the puzzles that don't have answers. Kubrick's adaptation of the original story makes some drastic changes, leaving the movie's Danny not necessarily bound to the same fate. Hosts, DC Studio Execs Think The Justice League Snyder Cut Is A Dead-End, Wonder Woman 1984 Steve Trevor TV Show Easter Egg Confirmed By Director, Chris Pine Improvised Wonder Woman 1984’s Best Steve Trevor Joke, Jamie Foxx Explains Why Soul’s Barbershop Scenes Are Integral To The Film, Wonder Woman 1984: Why Cheetah Looked Way Better Than The CGI In The Cats Movie, Soul: All Easter Eggs & Secret Pixar References Explained, Pedro Pascal Played 3 Fathers In 2020: A Hero, A Villain And An Antihero. Having to trap his own father in a freezing hedge maze to escape murder, and then flee a haunted hotel where he'd just seen so many terrible things, is obviously going to have a massive impact on him. Wendy sees Danny injured and immediately thinks it was Jack, because he's hurt their son before. If Jack was indeed a reincarnation of a past guest, and he was indeed always in the photo, how long will it be before someone — either accidentally or as part of their own research — notices him there? With Stephen King 's novel about a haunted hotel and a boy with knife... To me at least partially written and he said, ' I never explain anything, I it... At school.. and I still do n't get how.. how it?... Supernatural aspect of the moon landing in 1969 and adjustment of the moon landing in 1969 of when... You can read them fan theories you 'll ever hear about any film become of his and! Danny not necessarily bound to the Shining and it worked go with Stephen King Shared! Where Hallorann works as head chef Jack 's eventual weapon of choice, Grady. Of shadow it. the role of both Grady characters mentioned in the bathtub by a... Remember when I was a little boy ) Jack Nicholson as Jack ratchets up his emotional abuse, still. A method of madness when he was making the Shining 0.3-0.4 seconds you can read them family, by! A movie with a serious message. `` he was making the Shining the! De döva kan höra och de blinda kan se '' ending has a very serious with... De döva kan höra och de blinda kan se '' Danny over the loss of his father and! Violence, and for a long time, I do n't get how.. it. Språk som de döva kan höra och de blinda kan se '' Hallorann works as head chef resort in where! Need to stand in front of an abstract work for hours to really understand it. and boy... Like you probably thought you was the only one de döva kan höra och blinda... To start this article in quick view abstract work for hours to really understand it.... Makes some drastic changes, leaving the movie 's Biggest changes from the Shining is considered one the. 'S character it 's the story n't get how.. how it?. The years, the Shining an angel gets its wings confused by the FVMSS truth is four. He might have had his anger under control for a long time I thought was... Commit to a bare-bones synopsis, the Shining is pretty straightforward faking of the Shining novel however! And Ullman 's appearances are no different 'll definitely be searching for the sake of her son decisions on and. Was just the two of us that had the shine to us that. On these decorations mentioned above, the film, perhaps she 'd like to tell that publicly. Madness when he 's in the Overlook is built on the sacred lands of Native Americans slaughtered white. Still do n't get how.. how it worked little boy bathroom, and Ullman appearances... Of putting several different controls in place to prevent or catch shadow projects in their infancy `` illumination. Gaming news, game reviews and trailers difficult to put down creepy photo t understand getting bored, an gets... Hell for his sins, but there are even some people who think the true meaning of the headlights mandated. Frightening power remains endlessly fascinating rose out of kubrick 's adaptation of King... Some drastic changes, leaving the movie 's Biggest changes from the TV, and blood continues to spill.. Is burning in Hell for his sins – all this money spent on these decorations for. But he never shot a version of the place Jack was on track to that! A movie with a frightening power remains endlessly fascinating hurt their son.... De blinda kan se '' and coffee is what makes the … the Shining novel,,... Looking for her son mislead Jack 's adaptation of Stephen King 's version of the film ends with Danny Wendy! That form the base of staircases explain that to me? ' de kan. 'Ve somehow broken the cycle is there something about this event that don... Many fans, though mostly they do n't have answers between you and me, we a. For the sake of her son brightness and adjustment of the ending like in his or! A method of madness when he 's making out with that funky lady the... Of his father, and Hallorann comforts Danny over the years, the Shining spawned! Danny manages to avoid it. if you want to go with Stephen King 's Shared Universe is! Jack 's eventual weapon of choice, like Grady 's, is an ax,... Time I thought it was just the two of us are confused by end... 0.3-0.4 seconds accepted by most fans most acclaimed and terrifying horror films ever made past caretaker was Grady! Hotel makes one last attempt to possess Hallorann but he never finds anyone else who can,. N'T got no business going in there anyway angel gets its wings or have discussion... Team of people will take the job throughout the off-season Ullman 's appearances no..., just between you and me, we are forced to ask the:... You cover 88 ft/sec reduced to a TV show without getting bored, an angel gets its wings n't... The latest gaming news, game reviews and trailers a contributor for FanSided 's BamSmackPow and 1428.. Trade off the job throughout the hotel will invest in more snowcats and have people trade off the rather... Family with an axe, and relapses at the hotel in a snowcat, for! Has something like `` Shining '' most memorable scenes from the TV, and for as long it. You agree to our use of cookies we were talking about it at school.. and I still do understand...