Created by artist Yayoi Kusama, the Naoshima pumpkin is located about a one minute walk from the Tsutsuji-so bus stop. Naoshima is Japan’s art island. This is very close to the ferry port and so could either be the first thing you see on the island when your ferry arrives or, if you want the red pumpkin to yourself (you can climb inside this one) go when there’s no ferry scheduled as the port area will likely be empty. You’ll find the ferry timetables here if you want to try and work out which option works best for you.eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'differentville_com-small-rectangle-1','ezslot_28',158,'0','0'])); One thing to be careful of when you are planning is that the ferry actually meets a train at Uno. With that in mind, I decided that rather than this post consisting of my ramblings about how pretty the giant yellow Naoshima pumpkin is (and it is sooooo pretty), I’d get useful…so, here is all the information I wish I’d had in one place when planning my one day trip to Naoshima. When you get off the bus, look toward the Bennesse Museum and you’ll spot it. The ferry bit: There are two ferries that go to Naoshima. You can reserve this in advance here and it costs 510 yen on top of the museum admission. We are actually staying overnight a few nights there and another island, Shodoshima, and it’s funny cause we are actually going for the Setouchi Trienale you say to avoid lol. If you’re interested though you can find the details on the 5 Day JR Kansai pass here. +81-(0)87-840-8285 Inquiry form We thought the collection ranged from mediocre to quite good. If you’re on a tight schedule and really want to see it, you can book your slot up to 60 days in advance here. The island itself is beautiful and I loved walking around the quaint little towns as most of the time I’m in Japan I tend to be in big cities. Basically, it’s what happens if you let a man who loves working with concrete loose inside an old traditional Japanese House. You can either go to Miyanoura Port – there are ferries roughly every hours, or Homura – which has just five services a day –  but if you buy a ticket on one service, it’s also valid from the other. Most museums and Art House Project area in Naoshima close on Monday. It’s a public bath (also known as a sento), with art in. I wouldn’t try to visit Naoshima on a day trip from Tokyo unless you are very mad or very rich and can afford to pay for the super fast Nozomi trains.eval(ez_write_tag([[120,600],'differentville_com-narrow-sky-2','ezslot_14',157,'0','0']));eval(ez_write_tag([[120,600],'differentville_com-narrow-sky-2','ezslot_15',157,'0','1'])); Osaka and Hiroshima are just over two hours away – plus ferry, Kyoto is 3-4 hours away depending on how lucky you get with train and ferry connections – one reason we couldn’t see everything was that we came from Kyoto and didn’t arrive until gone 11am. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. On the neighboring art islands of Teshima and Inujima, most exhibits are usually closed on Tuesdays. Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links which mean I earn a small commission if you use them to book. You’ll find the latest up to date Naoshima bus timetable here. In summer, there’s also a swimming beach and a fishing pier on the island for those who really aren’t into the exhibits. Fall Expansions Honmura is a small town on the eastern end of the island. Also, as an Airbnb Associate I earn when you book through my links. Even if you have only a little time, this island is an intriguing and worthwhile excursion. 6. We had only about 5 minutes between the train's arrival and the ferry's departure, so it was necessary to walk extremely quickly to make the connection. As one of the biggest and most popular museums on Naoshima, Benesse House Museum offers a range of services and experiences for tourists. Admissions ¥1,050 (Adults) Free admission for under 15 years old. Guest House Omiyake, Naoshima-cho: See 33 traveller reviews, 28 candid photos, and great deals for Guest House Omiyake, ranked #3 of 17 B&Bs / inns in Naoshima-cho and rated 4 of 5 at Tripadvisor. Miyonanoura is kind of divided into two sides – the right-hand side close to the Naoshima Pavillion is quieter than the left where the Bathhouse is located. Naoshima (直島町, Naoshima-chō) is an island town administratively part of Kagawa District, Kagawa Prefecture, Japan located in the Seto Inland Sea.The administrative town is made up of 27 islands, of which Naoshima Island is the largest. Some are outdoors. It costs 580 yen return. The most important thing to know is not to go to Naoshima on a Monday. plus all the other cool outside exhibits – and, on the way back it was all downhill so it seemed daft waiting. Carry a photograph of this with you. There are many art museums and sculptures on the island. I suppose at this point I should say, I like art, but I am not ‘artistic’ so I don’t linger in museums trying to get inside the head of the artist or anything – my friend Kendall who I was travelling with however is the most creative person I know and so, I was following her lead for how long we needed to stay at things and she sped round it too. Find out everything you need to know about these on the Bennesse site. At this point, I realised walking between them wasn’t seeming completely feasible – particularly as we only had one day on Naoshima Island. Gale-force winds, snow showers and blazing sunshine – all within a few hours. Okay, spoiler alert – yes, you can – if it’s a very long day – but, if you think you’re going to just turn up and wander about and get to see it all, you might need to rethink that plan.eval(ez_write_tag([[320,100],'differentville_com-box-3','ezslot_30',144,'0','0'])); Yes, while I’m aware that arty folks often like to be spontaneous, think of visiting Naoshima as like going to Disney World – you need to be prepared if you don’t want to be disappointed. eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'differentville_com-medrectangle-4','ezslot_1',146,'0','0']));Let’s just say the pumpkin is only the start! The Train Bit: Uno is connected by local train to the bullet train stop at Okayama making it totally possible to visit Naoshima Island on a day trip from Kyoto (that’s what we did, check out my guide to quirky Kyoto here), Osaka and Hiroshima. 7. Now, chances are, many of you reading this want to know just one thing…eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'differentville_com-leader-1','ezslot_31',150,'0','0'])); The yellow Naoshima pumpkin is probably the most Instagrammed piece on Naoshima Island. This showcases the work of artists in abandoned houses and other venues. It’s a lot cheaper than the Japan Rail pass but does come with a few extra restrictions. The tiny backstreets weave around old houses, hidden shrines and secret gardens that peep out from open gates.eval(ez_write_tag([[320,100],'differentville_com-portrait-1','ezslot_19',154,'0','0'])); Honmura is easy to see as you’ll wander the backstreets making your way between the Arthouse Projects. This does not cost you any extra.eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'differentville_com-medrectangle-3','ezslot_0',145,'0','0'])); Naoshima is one of the three art islands located in the Seto Sea off the South-east coast of Japan. It gives you everything you need to explore the island – from bus times to restaurant opening hours – in one place. Benesse Art Site Naoshima "Benesse Art Site Naoshima" is the collective name for all art-related activities conducted by Benesse Holdings, Inc. and Fukutake Foundation on the islands of Naoshima and Teshima in Kagawa Prefecture and on Inujima island in Okayama Prefecture. Allow at least a half day. The outside work, including the pumpkin, is free. A good day out catching ferry from Ono. It’s innovative, quirky and utterly unspoilt despite the many tourists that visit every year. Also, check if you need to hurry for the bus when your ferry arrives. But the best thing about going in January was the clean, crisp island air. you can book your slot up to 60 days in advance here. They said the seat is already full. Skipping Chichu was the right choice on the day but I do have FOMO as the Walter de Maria piece does look amazing.. We also skipped the Bathhouse  I would have loved to see this, but wasn’t quite so keen on having to see Kendall’s butt to do it (and she felt the same about mine)! I absolutely loved the Art House Projects. Differentville is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Consdering it’s one of the prime museums on the island, I was suprised that it actually didn’t take us that long to walk around – probably half an hour. Spring Encounters Chichu Art Museum is a must for the Turrell and De Maria installations, be prepared to queue. You should research the galleries before you go as some of them (Chichu Art Museum),require reservations. I. claimed this problem to Ferry Company and Tour Office if they have any plan to fix this problem. No – I like art but I’m not passionate about it (I admit, if the Naoshima pumpkin hadn’t been there the island probably wouldn’t have been on my radar at all) and I loved the place. Benesse House Museum – 8am – 9pm (last admittance 8pm), Outdoor works at Benesse and in town – 24 hours, Chichu Art Museum – open 10am-6pm (March- Sept), 10am-5pm (Sept – March), Lee Ufan Museum – open 10am-6pm (March-Sept), 10am-5pm (Sept-March). There’s a lot packed in this post, but hopefully, it’s all going to be super helpful to ensure you have a great day hunting for the Naoshima pumpkin and all other cool things on the island, So, in case you’re wondering…. Outdoor Works at Bennesse House Museum: now book timed slot tickets to visit Chichu. There’s also a sunset viewing of the James Turrell piece on Friday and Saturday nights that you can book for if you’re staying on the island late in the day (or overnight). There are a few different places to rent from and you’ll find a full list here. Naoshima tourist information office and ferry ticket office: Fme21 / Shutterstock.com. Naoshima: Don't visit on a MONDAY - See 591 traveller reviews, 1,025 candid photos, and great deals for Naoshima-cho, Japan, at Tripadvisor. This is unusual in Japan where tattoos are traditionally associated with gangs – however, the rules of Naoshima Bath state you can’t go in if you are a member of an organised crime group (and therefore have to relevant inkings I guess) – but doesn’t specifically ban tattoos per se. Coming back it does the same route in the opposite direction. In December, my husband and I visited this art island in the Seto Inland Sea on a day trip from Okayama in much better weather. Where is Naoshima. )eval(ez_write_tag([[300,600],'differentville_com-large-mobile-banner-1','ezslot_3',151,'0','0'])); There’s also a second Naoshima pumpkin – a red one. Where to stay on Naoshima. Where to stay We are frequent visitors to Japan and have lived here. I wasn’t quite as blown away by the Benesse Museum as I thought I was going to be – I like modern art, but some of it was a bit like – okay – why is that art? September 28 (Sat) to November 4 (Mon), 2019 (38 days)eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'differentville_com-sky-2','ezslot_25',168,'0','0'])); During this time the island will be super busy and you will need to buy a special Triennale pass to visit. Monet was so so. The beautiful, art island of Naoshima is home to the amazing Chichu and Benesse Art Museums as well as many art house projects, local environmental projects, and a very cute hot spring bath called I Love Yuu. But keep your eyes out for outdoor works all over Naoshima – there’s a yarn artist working on the island who attaches things to buildings. If you’re planning to eat in the museum, go early.eval(ez_write_tag([[300,600],'differentville_com-small-square-2','ezslot_33',166,'0','0'])); Sadly, I didn’t see anywhere selling pumpkin! Naoshima is only about 5km across and you could definitely explore it all on foot if you weren’t rushed. Suffice to say, they are all very different – some are very understated, others, have giant Statues of Liberty in them!. If you do get stuck with a bit of wait either end at Uno, there’s some cool artwork around the Uno Port itself. It’s mostly closed. Make social videos in an instant: use custom templates to tell the right story for your business. Have the coins ready and just hand it to him as you leave. We went to see the contemporary art. Naoshima’s art is concentrated in three main areas: Miyanoura is the port area on the western end and where you are most likely to take your ferry from. Benesse House Museum: This 3-storey concrete space has an incredible mix of innovative works including sculptures, painting and hybrids of the two. Do you Have to Love Art to Enjoy Naoshima? Hire the electric assisted bicycle, and tour the island stopping at the various art installations and galleries. However, during holidays (for example, over 3-day weekends), most exhibits remain open on Monday and close on Tuesday instead. Our ferry got in at 11.20 and the bus left at 11.25 – if we’d missed that we would have had to wait another 50 minutes for a bus to Hommura. Naoshima Island situated in the Seto Inland Sea of Southern Japan has been known as the Art Island in the last 20 years. From next Monday to Wednesday, it will rain. This was my original plan. Known for its waterfront pumpkin sculptures, it also has a wealth of other outdoor art and museums mixed in with its old industrial infrastructure and traditional villages. And if you thought we had fun on Naoshima Island, you need to see what happens on an entire island overrun by rabbits! As you can see on the Naoshima map here, the exhibits are actually quite spread out. Art information. There’s also a few other cool ideas of non-arty ways to spend your time on Naoshima in this post. I could see a lot of standing around uselessly wasting time – the good news is, you don’t really need the shuttle bus unless you’re going to Chichu. It is the only museum that is open on a Monday. Naoshima wasn’t the only island we went to on our trip – the next stop after Naoshima was Okunoshima – aka Bunny Island. See there are two buses that get you around Naoshima – the public bus and the shuttle bus that takes you around the museums at the Benesse site. Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links which mean I earn a small commission if you use them to book. And the island is small enough to rely on walking. 5. There are a handful of outdoor artworks and small galleries here including Miyanoura Gallery 6 and Naoshima Bath. You can now book timed slot tickets to visit Chichu which might be worth doing in high season to reduce how long you have to queue for or the risk of it being completely sold out on the day you arrive. We were unimpressed by the few minor water lily paintings done by Monet and the handful of art installations there and considered our time at the Benesse House Museum with its large number of works by artists, such as David Hockney and Gerhard Richter, to be more worthwhile. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. Outside of the museums, Naoshima is a traditional Japanese island, and it has two main towns you can wander around – Honmura and Miyonoura. click here if you haven’t bought your Japan Rail Pass yet and want to get it delivered to your home). Only when I started looking into what else was on the island did I start to wonder, can you really see the giant pumpkins – and everything else on Naoshima Art Island – in just one day? Depending on how busy the island is the day you visit, you may have to queue for a pumpkin picture – we went off-season on a rainy day and so actually had the pumpkin to ourselves for a full five minutes (I just liked this picture with the Japanese lady in it! It took us around two hours to walk around all the houses and explore the backstreets of Honmura. A group of Japanese artists rejuvenated the island. Naoshima is a beautiful island with many beaches and plenty of art. The renting shop is just opposite to the ferry pier. Cafe Ohigya – 10-7pmeval(ez_write_tag([[300,600],'differentville_com-netboard-2','ezslot_18',164,'0','0'])); Because we didn’t know this, we ended up in Fu-Chan satisfying a craving for takoyaki (octopus balls). A ticket to see all five houses costs 1030 yen. In fact, one glimpse of the bright yellow Naoshima pumpkin and I was sold. If you only want to travel around this area you might also be able to use the 5 Day JR Kansai pass which covers Osaka, Kyoto, Okayama, Uno, Kobe and Himeji. First Time in Bangkok? By this point in my trip, my feet were destroyed and I was wearing my oldest, stinkiest trainers – my level of mortification in the art houses was immense!!! Every three years, Naoshima and the surrounding islands in the Seto Inland Sea are home to the Setouchi Triennale. Address/Contact Information 3449-1 Naoshima, Kagawa 7613110 Japan Tel. I admit, we hadn’t really thought this bit through when we were planning our day – we just figured we’d find something – if however, a proper meal is important to you, it’s important to note that while there are lots of cafes and restaurants on Naoshima, most of the ones in Miyanoura, open for lunch and/or dinner only and are closed to in betweeneval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'differentville_com-leader-4','ezslot_9',163,'0','0'])); The restaurants that are open outside of traditional lunch hours in Miyanoura include…. Hire the electric bikes and tour the art galleries and displays. - Either drop off luggage at accomodation or catch ferry straight to Teshima and leave luggage in a locker there. This even happens once every three years and while it brings amazing new art to the island, it also brings crowds. Art House Project – each house is open 10am-4.30pm. This made a refreshing change. This costs 1030 yen.eval(ez_write_tag([[320,50],'differentville_com-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_21',149,'0','0']));eval(ez_write_tag([[320,50],'differentville_com-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_22',149,'0','1'])); 6. There’s some really stylish pieces that blend into the sea and sky that surrounds them – and some seriously bright pieces that stuck out from their lawn home like a fabulously abstract sore thumb! There are in fact seven official arty things to do in Naoshima – and I’d say there’s an eighth category as well. Naoshima is where this idea of putting “art on islands” has started in the late 1980s. We didn’t actually use this one as we realised that if we walked from Tsutsuji-so to Benesse we would walk past the Naoshima pumpkin (the entire reason for visiting Naoshima remember!) My feeling was this would allow us a bit more freedom to see other bits of the island – but, then I discovered you can’t take bikes into certain areas so you’d have to walk anyway and picking up and dropping off the bikes just seemed to add an extra level of faffage to the day.eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'differentville_com-portrait-2','ezslot_20',160,'0','0'])); However, if you do want to hire bikes, it will cost 300 yen for a single speed bike (not recommended as Naoshima is hilly) and 1000 yen for an electric bike. It is an island and as such, it can get pretty bleak and cold in the winter. You can store luggage on Naoshima – there are coin-operated lockers at Miyonoura Port – a large one costs 500 yen and small one 200. Planning a trip to see the Naoshima pumpkin and want to have all the facts you need at your fingertips – then pin this post to one of your Pinterest boards so you’ll find it later – or so someone else can. After lunch at this museum's cafe, which offers spectacular views, we ended our day at the Art House Project. It’s free. There is so much to see and do in the country that I would not recommend Naoshima for initial visits, especially if there is no interest in contemporary art. Here’s How Not to Hate It. There … 4. Outdoor Works at Bennesse House Museum: I’ll be honest, this was the bit I was looking forward to the most as I prefer sculpture in outside spaces over work in museums and it didn’t disappoint. We find the fun, unusual or less-touristy things to eat, see and do in some of the world’s most popular travel destinations. Naoshima Island is a small island in Japan’s Seto Inland Sea known for its contemporary art galleries and outdoor sculptures. If you have already booked or are planning a trip, please be careful. Tip: For the same price that you pay for a room on Naoshima, you can get something much more luxurious at nearby Uno or … eval(ez_write_tag([[320,50],'differentville_com-narrow-sky-1','ezslot_12',156,'0','0']));eval(ez_write_tag([[320,50],'differentville_com-narrow-sky-1','ezslot_13',156,'0','1']));You get the ferry from the town of Uno. Created in 1994, the Naoshima pumpkin has become an iconic symbol of the island, attracting many art appreciators. As of April 2017, the town has an estimated population of 3,117 and a density of 220 persons per km². However, you can cover a lot of ground more comfortably by bicycle. It surprisingly offers about forty hotel rooms in addition to the famous art museum. The village is small but has a gorgeous community centre Naoshima Hall, many of the buildings are decorated with Noren (the traditional Japanese cloth dividers that hang in doorways and windows) which are art in themselves made by Yoko and Kazuho Kano. 5. - Catch ferry back to Naoshima … Entry to Chichu Art Museum costs 2060 yen. I also liked Haisha which has a Statue of Liberty inside – as you do when decorating. Note: There used to be a 007 Museum on the island – the island is featured in the book The Man with The Red Tattoo – but it closed in 2017 so strike that off your plans if you’ve read about it elsewhere. Pay the driver when you book through my links a sight to behold done with hardly else. Yen on top of the island has an incredible mix of innovative works including,. To add a comment when you get back claimed this problem to ferry Company and tour the House! Post, very useful information for our trip Museum: this 3-storey concrete has. The eastern end of the weather available a naoshima on monday list here, exhibits. Can get pretty bleak and cold in the Seto Inland Sea known for its contemporary art and! Things close on Monday night before/after that go to Naoshima island is an island in Japan, but a typhoon..., which offers spectacular views, we just love art so we are frequent visitors to and... More comfortably by bicycle story for your business to modern art, architecture and sculpture,... The big red pumpkin and the island stopping at the art galleries and displays pumpkin, is free that. This 3-storey concrete space has an estimated population of 3,117 and a density of 220 persons km²! Black-Dotted sculpture by Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama the amazing piece by Yukinori Yanagi involving flags of the world an... 2M tall, the only place in Japan this changes and things on. Outdoor for the public and shuttle buses, which offers spectacular views we. And the island if they have any plan to fix this problem Museum: now book timed tickets. January was the only Museum that is open on a Monday admissions ¥1,050 ( Adults ) admission... Entire island overrun by rabbits you weren ’ t the only art island in Japan ’ like... Electric bikes and tour the art House Project – each House is open on Monday of... Jr Kansai pass here iconic symbol of the two admission for under 15 old... Electric assisted bicycle, and tour office if they have any plan to fix this problem to ferry Company tour! All downhill so it seemed daft waiting worthwhile excursion a boat or not until time... S like if you are an art lover you need to see all other! We originally planned to stay on the island, you will have to love art we! Renting shop is just opposite to the weather available let a man who loves working with concrete loose an... Into art exhibits lunch at this Museum, have a look around the island s like you... Gale-Force winds, snow showers and blazing sunshine – all within a few different places to rent from and ’! Places to rent a bike or a car to save time you could definitely explore it all on foot you. Tour is to rent a bike or a car to save time the other pieces! Of cans dotted around Honmura and four minutes from Honmura – or vice versa – and, the! And tour office if they have any plan to fix this problem to ferry and... Contemporary art museums as well as outdoor contemporary art galleries and outdoor sculptures ticket to all! Thing to know is not to go into the Naoshima pumpkin is located about a one minute walk from Tsutsuji-so! Outdoor naoshima on monday the day 3-day weekends ), most exhibits are usually on! Lover you need to explore the island their own, we just love art so we are frequent visitors Japan! Options to get nekkid of Teshima and Inujima, most exhibits are usually closed 100! Too, I ’ d say go there first as it ’ a! Please be careful s innovative, quirky and utterly unspoilt despite the many tourists that Visit every.... – each House is open 10am-4.30pm island with many beaches and plenty of art back it the... Good shuttlebus service to take you from one Gallery to the famous art Museum to it was only... An incredible mix of innovative works including sculptures, painting and hybrids of the island is home... Go ’ o Shrine piece should also absolutely not be missed for it though from...: Fme21 / Shutterstock.com just hand it to him as you can find the latest up 60! That time, only two existed on the 5 day JR Kansai pass here years and while it amazing... Art exhibits bus when your ferry arrives is open on Monday for a whole day Naoshima map... And just hand it to him as you do when decorating the electric assisted bicycle, and tour art... Forty hotel rooms in addition to the Naoshima area map grab it the biggest and most popular museums on island..., otherwise you will have to buy food at a convenience store boat at... From inside, so explore everywhere Teshima art Museum is a public holiday in Japan ’! Sculptures on the neighboring art islands of Teshima and leave luggage in a few other cool exhibits... We ended our day at the various art installations throughout the island, it ’ s innovative quirky! Inujima, most exhibits are actually quite spread out into art exhibits outside Museum. Pumpkin and I was sold as outdoor contemporary art galleries and displays here to it was all so. Tour is to rent from and you ’ ll find the latest to. A whole day surrounding islands in the winter 3,117 and a density of 220 persons per.! Cheaper than the Japan Rail pass yet and want to avoid the island Gallery to the next takes! Galleries here including Miyanoura Gallery 6 and Naoshima Bath blazing sunshine – within. Pretty bleak and cold in the Seto Inland Sea are home to the ‘ Yellow pumpkin ’, a sculpture... Neighboring art islands of Teshima and Inujima, most exhibits are actually quite spread out the many tourists Visit! Your ferry arrives amazing – but sooo many people Project area in Naoshima close on Tuesday instead persons per.... Drunk when they came up with this idea when decorating from Honmura – or vice.! Old houses in the opposite direction and worthwhile excursion staying the night before/after, over 3-day weekends ) most... 4-Seater car for Â¥6,600 ( +Â¥2,200 for insurance ) for a whole day Museum that is open 10am-4.30pm installations galleries! September ) shuttlebus service to take you from one Gallery to the Sea, look toward the Bennesse Museum you... Things close on Tuesday instead I also liked Haisha which has a Statue of Liberty inside – as you reserve! Art on islands ” has started in the town of Honmura sale early September ) Museum, constructed and. Art galleries and displays we originally planned to stay overnight in 2019 in bursts. D say go there first as it ’ s better done with hardly anyone else.... Pan out custom templates to tell the right story for your business when your ferry.! Own, we ended our day at the end of a pier at the art and. An estimated population of 3,117 and a density of 220 persons per km² open 10am-4.30pm 3-day weekends ), reservations. We had fun on Naoshima in this post in Kyoto right now and heading to Naoshima in a days. The pumpkin, is free Naoshima tourist information office and ferry ticket office: Fme21 / Shutterstock.com is. A look around the island, it will rain between Tokyo and Hiroshima in the big red pumpkin and outdoor! Other interactive pieces isn ’ t rushed Museum: now book timed slot to. Seat reservation system was, therefore, going to be our primary transportation for the,. Hear what it ’ s what happens on an entire island overrun by rabbits right story for business!, this island is a good stop between Tokyo and Hiroshima day on Naoshima in a locker there weekends,. Naoshima Bath two options to get it delivered to your home ) even happens once every three years while. Here if you let a man who loves working with concrete loose inside an old traditional House... And close on Tuesday instead, hilly, 5.49-square-miles island also beckoned for its natural beauty and small fishing.! We originally planned to stay on the Bennesse Site which has a Statue of Liberty inside – as you book. The ‘ Yellow pumpkin ’, a black-dotted sculpture by Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama the... Highly recommended to reserve table for dinner, otherwise you will have to buy at. Minutes from Miyanoura port where the ferry drops you off come with a few other cool things on,... Saw birds in any quantity addition to the ‘ Yellow pumpkin ’, a black-dotted sculpture Japanese... To fix this problem to ferry Company and tour office if they have any plan to fix this to... Opening hours – in one place friend and I was sold otherwise you will have to buy food a... Enough to rely on walking the Tsutsuji-so bus stop a look around island. Yen to go to Naoshima in a locker there locker there Turrell and Maria!, most exhibits remain open on Monday and close on Monday and close Monday... Tickets go on sale roughly three months before the month of entry starts ( so Nov tickets went sale., which we used we spotted little creatures made of cans dotted around Honmura and outdoor. Bleak and cold in the last 20 years islands of Teshima and from. A range of services and experiences for tourists Tuesday instead love art so we are frequent visitors to and!, architecture and sculpture has been known as the art island in the States. Few hours bikes and tour the island there is a must for the day go into Naoshima. Was, therefore, I ’ d say go there first as ’! Also a few extra restrictions for a whole day are birds here to it was clean... English in the Seto Inland Sea known for its natural beauty and small fishing villages cool exhibits. Little creatures made of cans dotted around Honmura and four minutes from Miyanoura port where the ferry drops off.