Sitting for long periods of time wrecks your posture, you slouch (at least I do) and this puts enormous strain on your back and spine. In other words, use of a standing desk for three hours burns an extra 24 calories, about the same number of calories in a carrot. Standing burns more calories than sitting — about 0.7 calories per minute, to be exact. And when I did that, surprisingly, I actually became more focused and more productive at work as well. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Americans clock a whopping 13 hours a day sitting, so anything that gets us on our feet can't really be bad. Fakespot analyzes the reviews authenticity and not the product quality using AI. Perhaps what sparked the standing desk movement was a study done a while back that made an extraordinarily bold claim: Sitting for just three hours a day is responsible for 430,000 deaths across 54 countries. Your workplace setup can have a real impact on your workplace posture and ergonomics, which can affect your life expectancy and heart health.Fast.Co reports that standing desks can "be effective in improving overall health, considering both physiological and mental health components." When I sit after standing for a while, I also find it easier to keep my posture correct than when I’m sitting down all the time. Fake product reviews and product isn’t durable. So far it has worked for me. The reason I switched to a standing desk was, simply, to find a reprieve from pain. If you’re going to start standing up at your desk at work, don’t kid yourself: You’re going to attract attention. I not only stand, but use a treadmill base a few hours a day. You could use a standing desk for three hours and burn 24 more calories. The widely accepted study on the number of calories burnt when comparing sitting to standing, showed just a slightly difference between the two, with standing burning just a little more calories than sitting. The 60° tablet position was immediately obvious, and the 30° and 45° seated laptop position… Therefore, it’s best to give a standing workstation a trial before you commit to a steep price tag. We also provide seller ratings to warn you if the seller can be trusted or not. After working on computers at standing desks for two hours, study participants reported "discomfort," "muscle fatigue," and "lower limb swelling." This article gives you 6 tips for using a standing desk correctly. What did you do for the organizing the cables? So you can have both health and work, if you decide to. I feel active at the end of my day - of software engineering - rather than lazy, tired and bloated. There's a reason everyone on this sub who has purchased one of his desks raves about him--I'm just adding my voice to the crowd. The benefits, however, have lasted years. It is a type of stool that often goes together with a sit to stand desk or regular standing desk. And the problems weren't just physical. Do some steps if you can – take the stairs, not the elevator. While offices are introducing standing desks to reduce sedentary behavior among employees, the science behind them is not as strong as you would expect. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Jasmin Collier. Completely anecdotal, but I find my mood improved dramatically when I started using a standing desk. So, while the benefits of standing desks may be overstated, the risks of sitting are not. But standing all the time isn’t so great either. I know this because I bought one. So, while the benefits of standing desks may be overstated, the risks of sitting are not. I can assure you I failed miserably even though I had a sticky note pasted in front of me saying “right posture is important!!”. Reddit; Pocket; Flipboard; Pinterest; Linkedin; Wellness. The dimensions are 32″W x 20.5″D and it can hold up to 35 pounds. I've only just started out with a standing desk literally today. Standing does, in fact, burn calories, researchers found, just not that many: about 54 calories for a six-hour day of standing. My only worry is everyone says they only stand 2-4 hours a day. I certainly did not have any chance to sit down for 16 hours at a stretch. "The sit-stand desk is not intended to be used as a standing desk," Chambers said, because just like sitting, constant standing is also not good for you. After taking the business world by storm a few years back as the best thing sedentary office workers can do for their health, a new study asserts that standings desks are, in fact, bad for you. I know that other people have reported less problems with back muscles too. Research has shown that sitting at a desk for too long can lead to long-term health problems. High-end standing desks can cost over $1,000. A growing body of evidence suggests that yes, sitting for long periods of time can have a detrimental effect on your health. For those who have office jobs or used to sit all day at work but now utilize a standing desk, how has it impacted your life? If you resisted the peer pressure to buy a pricey standing desk, you can be smug in the knowledge the body of scientific evidence is on your side -- for now. 1. These desks allow you to work at your “desk job” while standing rather than sitting in a chair. It begins soon after switching to sit-stand desks, in some cases as early as four weeks after changing from a sitting desk. Or does it have to be half and half in a 8 hour work day? Your desk isn't just a home away from home. Do not buy flexispot. Was it good/bad? Link to Fakespot Analysis | Check out the Fakespot Chrome Extension! Standing vs sitting lowers risk of heart disease. What other product did you get? 1. Less distracted too. Although it doesn't seem like it would, I'm much more apt to walk here or there if I'm already standing. Standing can also be bad for you, says scientist studying desk set-up Researchers are falling down on the job of figuring out the healthiest way to work. Extended standing can compress the spine and lead to lower back problems. I’m really glad for the wake up call that the backache gave me. You might want to sit down before you hear the latest research on standing desks. I am thinking of getting this standing desk. Whatever the experts say, I feel that alternating between standing and sitting to work has really made a difference for me. Is it bad to have it setup as standing default, with occasionial sitting? I used to sit pretty much all day, and I'd get really bad cramping in my lower back whenever I squatted and deadlifted. All you need to do is input these details to our calculator to get an accurate result. And many people who use standing desks say it’s helped them with shoulder and back pain. You can take walking breaks throughout the day and use the stairs, whatever desk you have. Using a standing desk may reduce sitting time by as little as 32 minutes a day, Finnish researchers of the 2016 analysis said. 2. Caused by first time chronic lower back pain that I feel the most when getting up from seating. The scientists attribute it to more effective sugar control. Don’t think that a standing desk frees you from all the discomforts that can come with sitting at a desk all day. Although there are people who say that our ancestors, being hunter-gatherers, only had to spend 14 hours a week looking for food, and could take the rest of the week to laze around and enjoy themselves, I’m sure they did not sit still in a hunched position for 10 hours at a stretch! • Standing desks have often been presented as a healthier alternative to sitting around all day. Standing 3 hours a day at work eliminated this problem in a week. But you need to sit to give your body proper rest. Did you experience anything like that at the beginning? A growing body of evidence suggests that yes, sitting for long periods of time can have a detrimental effect on your health. The study was carried out by researchers from the University of Exeter, University College London, and the University of Sydney (Australia). Exactly how I feel too! It was funded by multiple UK organisations, such as the British Heart Foundation, Stroke Association, the National Heart and Lung Institute, and the National Institute on Aging. My only worry is everyone says they only stand 2-4 hours a day. I have to say that I learnt my lesson and made sure I did not sit for extended periods in front of my computer anymore. It worked like gangbusters. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the StandingDesk community. It just seems to take more effort. Here is the analysis for the Amazon product reviews: Name: Flexispot Electric Standing Desk Height Adjustable Desk, Sit Stand Desk Home Office Workstation Stand up Desk (48x30 Black Desktop White Frame). Sort of. With researchers suggesting that 'sitting is the new smoking,' sit-stand desks (SSD) have become a common tool to quell sedentary behavior in an office environment. Last year, I upgraded from a stationary standing desk and started using VARIDESK Soho, an adjustable, portable standing desk that retails at $175 (though you … Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Landing the Big Fish of Body Health. The Ergohead standing desk mat by Butterfly mats is the best value I’ve found in the non-flat standing desk mat category. The top-side product label on the box shows the stand in each of its four positions but doesn't give you any idea how to actually unfold it into each. Also, standing to work actually makes me more mobile. Beth Mole - Mar 18, 2016 10:44 pm UTC One last thing is I walk an hour daily as I live 30 mins from the office. This subreddit is all about standing desks, also known as stand up desks, adjustable height desks, and sit to stand desks. Steps you can take to reduce your risk. I’ve reviewed the science and know well that there is basically no or inconclusive evidence that standing for 8 hours is healthier than sitting. It took me all of 1 week to adjust to standing, and that was so long ago I barely remember it. Then in May, I read about how a standing desk helped allay a blogger’s chronic back woe. When using the desk at a standing height, you can strengthen core and leg muscles. Did you have any back pain when first starting to stand instead of sit? A = very trustworthy reviews, F = highly untrustworthy reviews. Pretty much any computer you got can be used with the Rocelco 32” Height Adjustable Standing Desk Converter. If you're looking for a standing desk, I can't recommend Chris and DeskHaus highly enough. Don’t just rely on the standing desk Try walking with your colleagues for meetings rather than sitting in a conference room. Now I knew the cause for my backache – excessive sitting! The researchers sifted through the almost 700 studies that have sought to measure the health benefits of standing desks. The human body is built to move. You've probably heard that keeping your rear planted in your desk chair for hours on end may be as much of a health hazard today as smoking was for previous generations. Press J to jump to the feed. Experts advise that if you do try a standing desk, start slowly (stand for just 30 minutes to an hour a day) and increase gradually. How to Live Better, Longer. I googled “back pain” and was not really assured by some of the more sinister causes of back pain that came up. Neither does merely sitting with better posture. Because standing desks naturally allow for more freedom of movement - I can pace around my area when I need to, stretch, I can quickly walk over to other desks, and I generally find myself walking around WAY more than I used to. Maybe the best option is sitting most of the day, but ensuring you get up frequently to move around, or perhaps use an adjustable desk to break up the day with some standing breaks. If you have a desk job, adding variety to your sitting (or standing) positions rather than stubbornly clutching onto a "sitting is bad" mentality can lead to bigger changes over time. The idea of standing desks is, in theory, a good one. Reduced neck pain. Now I follow my body’s cues. Alternate Between Sitting and Standing. You can take walking breaks throughout the day and use the stairs, whatever desk you have. Studies have shown varying results when it comes to the benefits of standing desks – Amazon.Some of the benefits associated with standing desk might be overblown. I was relieved to say the least. Fakespot detects fake reviews, fake products and unreliable sellers using AI. A lot of studies stating that standing desks are bad for us used fixed-height standing desk, meaning that instead of working for 8 hours sitting at your desk you work for 8 hours standing at your desk. Add it all up and that’s between 19 and 21 (out of 24) sedentary hours every day. Dec 04, 4:06 PM EST. TUESDAY, July 28, 2015 (HealthDay News) -- Desk jobs aren't good for your health, but working on your feet could spell trouble, too, researchers say. There’s a good chance that you are — standing desks are all the rage and the benefits of a standing desk are often talked about. To be clear, a standing desk alone does not give you variety in movement. Jetta Productions via Getty Images A new study finds that standing, rather than sitting, at a desk may not improve health. Having this really painful ache at the back all the time was physically and mentally disturbing. I tried standing the other day and it hurt my back pretty bad. Sure, sitting all the time is bad for you – in addition to the 13 hours Americans spend at desks, on the couch and in the car, we spend 6 to 8 hours in bed. See the pinned post for helpful resources and more information. Has anyone used this before? I was sold. Walking burned 210 calories/hour. After sitting for more than 16 hours a day for about a month or two in 2017 however, my back started aching. The Moft Z comes in an unassuming little cardboard box with nothing much in the way of documentation. There’s nothing fishy about … There seems to be less inertia to overcome when it comes to walking and moving around when you're in a standing position compared to when you are sitting down. ReddIt. If you're wondering whether you should take a stand, consider the following before you decide. * Forget standing desks, this one lets you work lying down . I was really frustrated – I always sat for extended periods and never had any back issues to deal with. Excessive long sitting time in front of the laptop or TV, when only the fingers are getting some form of exercise – in the form of typing or fishing for potato chips out of a bag – is something that only we in the digital age do. Because I can’t slouch when standing, when I sit down, the right posture seems to just carry over naturally. The 7 Most Common Problems With Standing Sitting Desks. Standing desk stool, also known as a standing desk chair can be found at any office furniture store and most of the supermarkets. First things first, posture is essential no matter what desk you use. I don’t know what’s the thing with sitting, but I sometimes literally feel glued to the chair and would postpone getting up to refill my cup even if I want to. We give an A-F letter for trustworthiness of reviews. Is it counterproductive/harmful to just have the desk setup to standing the whole day? This could lead to pain. Agreed, exercise is important and no amount of standing up and fidgeting can replace that. And if you do have a standing desk (and like using it), using it properly is a way to make sure you're avoiding any of the symptoms that may appear with misuse. I am actually trying to develop better posture as well, and I'm hoping standing will help me in this goal. I typically spend about 2 hours standing in the morning and 2 hours standing right after lunch, with the rest of the time sitting down. If you have a desk job, adding variety to your sitting (or standing) positions rather than stubbornly clutching onto a "sitting is bad" mentality can lead to bigger changes over time.