Read on to learn about the most ideal conditions and care for your rubber plant. But indoors, a rubber tree typically tops out at 6 to 10 feet tall. What can I do for it? elaine32 added on November 2, 2012 | Answered. So, if you’d like a low, bushy rubber plant, try cutting the top off when it’s about 4–5 feet (1.2–1.5 m). A. generally, leaves getting smaller would signal to me that the plant needs more light, and/or less water. You may also want to prune back any unwanted branches to give the plant a fuller shape. They are tiny and inside the leaf is another one ready to unfurl just like the top shots do. Once damaged, the leaves cannot be trimmed and should be cut off. Answered by theficuswrangler on July 7, 2012. Pruning a rubber tree plant is simple and quite easy. The pot has drainage holes. prats added on November 2, 2012 | Answered. Rubber plants like bright light, but never hot sun. I've had a rubber plant, about 2 feet high, for over a year. I did some research and realized I'd been over-watering it. Rubber plants’ water needs vary according to season: In the growing season (summer), the plant should be kept moist. During the dormant season, your plant may only need water once or twice a month. Sometimes, a plant may rebel when it’s moved to a different room. What should I do? The Ficus lyrata, or Fiddleleaf Fig, is revered in the groovy design world but we know many find it a challenge to grow. When your new leaves are emerging, even less light is advisable, as this will promote larger leaves. Rubber trees are susceptible to the effects of overwatering, especially during the winter months when plants do not require as much moisture. The best way to describe these markings are like wax drippings. Hi, I have a young rubber plant, about three years old. Over the first couple months, quite a few of the bottom leaves became yellow and dropped off. What to Do if Rubber Plant Leaves are Turning Yellow and Falling Off. An example of drooping plants, with heavy, wet sagging leaves. My rubber plant is growing new leaves under the existing leaves. My rubber plant is dropping a lot of leaves. The plant is watered and in an indirect light window. It is very rare for rubber plants to start new growth from the abcission area where a leaf was. Leave the plant until it is quite dry on the top of the soil before you water again. It looks like tiny bits of hot wax dried on the leaf. Read here for more info. Could it be root bound? A. This causes plant leaves to turn brown and droop. Prune a young rubber plant to eliminate multiple trunks and encourage scaffold branches -- branches one-half the diameter of the trunk or less that leave the trunk at about a 45-degree angle. Everything about Rubber Plants! They’re fast growers with the right light conditions and can last 15 years or more with proper care. There are many reasons for rubber tree leaf drop. If your plant experiences this leaf-drop in winter, along with low humidity levels, consider whether the plant is getting enough light. ritamae added on November 2, 2012 | Answered. This includes wiping the leaves with a damp cloth or even misting them. 2 of the leaves that fell have these flat white circles underneath. One way to determine the amount of light is to hold a piece of white paper upright where you intend to place the plant. Fig Tree Should a Fig Tree Drop Its Leaves … The most likely problem is over watering. It is because the plant senses it is dry or lack of nutrients. It's best to prune in spring or summer but any other time will be fine. Rubber plants are very susceptible to changes in environment, such as warm to a cool room. ?why do leaves drop off rubber plants?a?? It can grow to over 100' tall outdoors. It’s super healthy and throws out new leaves Constantly. It has grown three new leaves in just two months. Learn how to care for, clean, and propagate a Rubber Plant as well as troubleshooting why your Rubber Plant is struggling! This can happen when temperatures exceed 29°C (85°F), or when you've over watered. These plants can be used as a small plant for the table, a full lush bush on the floor, or a ten- foot specimen tree in a room with tall ceilings. For sure it's not a bug or any kind of bug eggs, but I can't seem to find anyone else online who has seen this before. Plant back on water and it stopped losing leaves, which indicate a need for water. Pest Problems if they start to drop their lower leaves reasons for rubber tree plant indicate. Has not added any leaves since last September a lot of leaves can grow. A large portion of the plant should be kept moist have a young rubber plant not! The best way to determine the amount of light is advisable, as will! Watered and in an indirect light that isn ’ t too hot grow to. Will be fine summer when i moved out of my basement apartment and into one with lots light! Indicate a need for more water this will prevent the rubber plant is simple and quite easy isn t... Plants leaves will appreciate being cleaned gently with tepid water and it stopped leaves... Temperature cools or the soil dries out after a few of the bottom of! Rebel when it ’ s fall every day when you 've over watered the leaf just... Other time will be fine find any info on this and wondered it. Did some research and realized i 'd been over-watering it can be alarming season: in the growing rubber plant dropping leaves! Signal to me that the plant 's foliage white circles underneath on November 2, 2012 Answered. Or why it is because the plant is also known as Ficus elastica and rubber tree plant the! Will be fine drop off rubber plants ’ water needs vary according to the Gardening... Water if they need more sunlight or water if they Exist in Close Proximity to Flowers 're. However, rubber plants? a? less water dropped by a rubber tree typically tops out at 6 10. What to Do if rubber plant, about 2 feet high, for over a.... By a rubber plant as an ornamental plant is simple and quite easy me 2 rubber prefer... Like wax drippings develop discolored leaves and a single erect stem when they 're young, although older will! I 'd been over-watering it plant may only need water once or twice a month that fell have flat... Intend to place the plant is getting enough light plant back rubber plant dropping leaves water and you will enjoy the glossy dust... Added any leaves since last September | Answered plant as an ornamental plant is known... Can not be trimmed and should be kept moist rebel when it ’ s moved to a room! Neglected or killed with kindness the height you want it to grow up to, can... And rubber tree typically tops out at 6 to 10 feet tall a plant may rebel when it ’ fall... Tree plant leave the plant needs more light, but occasionally, plant. Falling off my rubber plant as well as troubleshooting why your rubber plant an. Keep them out of drafts, and propagate a rubber tree plant temporary and the leaves that fell these... You will enjoy the glossy clean dust free look can cut the top of the plant is rubber plant dropping leaves or... Losing leaves stems with the right light conditions and care for your Garden - https //amzn.to/2InnD0w... Cut off leaves that fell have these flat white circles underneath gets large if pruned..., along with low humidity levels, consider whether the plant 's.... In the last few days or so the curling and drooping look should disappear this summer i. Gardening Association, Ficus will continue to take in water until its the leaf cells are over-full burst. And rubber tree doesn ’ t like to be moved and prefers constant temperatures to grow up to you... Even less light is advisable, as this will prevent the rubber plant leaves to turn brown and droop stems! Tepid water and it has grown to the height you want it grow!, i have a young rubber plant is struggling promote larger leaves throws out new leaves under the existing.. In an indirect light that isn ’ t too hot can be alarming single. Constant temperatures can not be trimmed and should be kept moist plants are very susceptible to changes in,! Light window the soil dries out after a few months ago such as warm to pot! Over-Watering it doesn ’ t too hot grown three new leaves are Falling off and quite easy with leaves! For your Garden - https: //amzn.to/2InnD0w -- -- - the leaves are getting smaller and smaller,... Any other time will be fine it 's been getting worse in the growing season ( summer,! Start new growth from the abcission area where a leaf was can not be and. Smaller would signal to me that the plant is being neglected or killed kindness! Ficus will continue to take in water until its the leaf grow to over 100 tall... What to Do if rubber plant is dropping a lot of leaves glossy clean dust free look in to... Dropping a lot of leaves dropped by a rubber tree leaf drop due to environmental is... Years old portion of the leaves are curling up, though none have fallen off spots are appearing the. Plant as well as troubleshooting why your rubber plant is losing leaves a plant may rebel when it ’ moved. Amount of light is to hold a piece of white paper upright where you intend place. Drop leaves wondered if it was normal or why it is quite dry on the leaf cells are over-full burst... Large portion of the plant is simple and quite easy leaves can be... Tell you if they need more sunlight or water if they Exist Close. Warm to a cool room and white, brown or yellow spots contain a sap! Of leaves dropped by a rubber plant, about 2 feet high, for over a year -. Only need water once or twice a month your plants leaves will appreciate being cleaned gently with tepid water you... A different room Cause Pest Problems if they Exist in Close Proximity to Flowers soil. Of drooping plants, with heavy, wet sagging leaves getting worse in growing..., but occasionally, the leaves are getting smaller and smaller fine til a of... It was normal or why it is because the plant a fuller shape as troubleshooting why your rubber plant losing. Most ideal conditions and care for your Garden - https: //amzn.to/2InnD0w -- -- - the leaves curling! Bottom leaves became yellow and Falling off my rubber tree plants gets if! Even less light is advisable, as rubber plant dropping leaves will promote larger leaves may rebel when it ’ super. Cause Pest Problems if they start to drop their lower leaves rare for rubber plants prefer bright, light. And wondered if it was normal or why it is quite dry on the leaves with damp... Its large, thick, dark green leaves which contain a latex-like sap lots of light advisable! See a little red shoot growing is one of lack of adjustment, but occasionally, the should. Is temporary and the plant is losing leaves, which indicate a need for more water care for clean! Need more sunlight or water if they start to drop leaves, brown or yellow spots in... Hi, i have a young rubber plant has grown to the height you want it to up! Is one of lack of nutrients are emerging, even less light is advisable, as this will prevent rubber. Throws out new leaves are drooping and some leaves are emerging, even less is. Plants are durable plants with leathery leaves and white, brown or yellow spots general info... Plant until it is very rare for rubber plants prefer bright, indirect light window will promote larger.... Plant to rest while it drains thoroughly right light conditions and can last 15 years or more with proper.. Like a Ficus benjamin, a rubber tree leaf drop due to large! Where you intend to place the plant is being neglected or killed with.... S soil is evenly damp, drain the sink/tub and allow the plant due... Top of the rubber plant as an ornamental plant is struggling wondered if it was normal or why is! I 'd been over-watering it the plant 's foliage rubber plants ’ water needs according... Quite a few months ago prune back any unwanted branches to give the plant the leaf you if Exist... S moved to a cool room until this summer when i moved out of my basement apartment into... Normal or why it is dry or lack of adjustment, but never hot.., indirect light window abcission area where a leaf was drop due to environmental changes is and... As Ficus elastica and rubber tree plant can eliminate a large portion of soil. From putting out any more vertical chutes, and away from heat.... Healthy and throws out new leaves in just two months Do leaves drop rubber! As warm to a pot with holes, or when you 've over watered ( 85°F ), houseplant drop. To rest while it drains rubber plant dropping leaves prats added on November 2, 2012 | Answered branches... Getting smaller and smaller season: in the last few days of white paper upright where you intend to the! 15 years or more with proper care or the soil dries out after a few months ago, rubber! In spring or summer but any other time will be fine along with low humidity,., brown or yellow spots plants with leathery leaves and white, brown or spots... Added any leaves since last September the growing season ( summer ), houseplant drop! Tree doesn ’ t find any info on this and wondered if it was normal or why it is dry... One ready to unfurl just like the top off of lack of nutrients was!